Sunday, February 1

"Do, a deer, a female deer"

Last night I went to my mom's to watch The Sound of Music with her. It was wonderful as always. I was reminded of how integral this movie was to my childhood. My sisters and I liked watching musicals, and my mother always encouraged this and usually watched them with us. We loved My Fair Lady, The King and I, West Side Story, and Oklahoma among others, but nothing was like The Sound of Music. I felt like a kid again last night, remembering competing to see who would be the first to spot the tiny speck that was Maria confidently twirling through a green meadow and belting into song. I also realized I never lost that desire to spin around in a pink frothy dress in a beautiful glass gazebo, nor as a child did I realize how devastatingly handsome Christopher Plummer was as the dashing, severe, Captain Von Trapp. I'll definitely have to give it one more viewing before it goes back to Blockbuster!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention that. My family loves watching musicals, too. In fact, this weekend we watched Mamma Mia - very entertaining. We also love The Sound of Music and Hairspray, the newer one. Watching music is a fun way to share family time. Glad you mentioned it here.
Eddie

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hairspray, too! "Having nothing builds character!" It's soo funny... AbiLyn loves Linc...
Anyway, Michele, sorry I couldn't make it. I was looking foward to AbiLyn's first time watching it, but we just didn't get back from Hohenwald in time.

Amy said...

I ADORE that movie! Neither my dad nor myself can get through Adelweiss without tearing up. I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one with a Captain Von Trapp crush. :o)