Tuesday, December 29

Christmas Behind-the-Scenes

I know I referenced an idea I had for gift wrapping. Well, here is a picture of how it turned out. It's grosgrain ribbon (which I adore) and a red jingle bell. I did some with red 1-inch grosgrain ribbon, too.

Also, about food. I've started this thing of taking pictures of my plates of food. I know it's very strange, but here is a picture of my Christmas breakfast. This is pretty close to my dream breakfast: country ham and cheddar biscuit, honey and butter on a biscuit, and butter and blackberry preserves on a biscuit.

Here is my Christmas Day dinner plate: honey glazed ham; one of my mom's wheat yeast rolls; the two dishes I made: warm pineapple salad and hash brown casserole; and my mom's cranberry/apple dish.

The Johnsons do a really cool thing for Christmas Eve food...it's sort of like football food. Ham and rolls, dips, sweets, but enough to fill up on. I love it! I made one of Granny June's recipes. Here it is.

Mississippi Sin
1 loaf Italian bread from the bakery section of the grocery store.
1/3 c. chopped onions
1 1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. chopped ham
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c. chopped green chilies
8 oz. Cream cheese
Dash Worcestershire sauce

Slice off top of bread and hollow out. Mix all ingredients and pour into hollowed-out bread. Put top on bread; wrap in foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Use crackers or chips to dip. After an hour, I find that I have to unwrap and take off the lid of the loaf and let it bake about 10 more minutes. At this point I just lay the lid on the baking sheet next to the dip, and I also put the pieces I dug out on the sheet too. They're delish for dipping!

No comments: