Thursday, August 20

Some Things Never Change

When I was young, my sisters and I would usually spend at least a week every summer with my mom's parents in Jasper, TN. Jasper is a wonderful place. It's like a small town from a movie. We could walk to the track at the high school with Granny every night for her walk, and we would take our roller blades. We could roller blade to the little Kwik Mart. We could play hide-and-seek in her Victorian house that we're all pretty certain is haunted but is full of wonderful nooks-and-crannies and neat things like pocket doors and red glass windows and a real cellar. And Papa always had a drawer full of candy bars and Juicy Fruit gum that he had stocked for our visit.

Even in high school, when we had things like church camp, youth trips, cheerleading camp, volleyball camp, basketball camp, etc. we still made time for a trip to Granny June and Papa Leslie's. As we got older, our activities changed. We could lay out as much as we wanted. Granny would take us to the beauty supply store (she ran a beauty shop for most of her life) and buy us fake nails. She would take us to the video store and let us rent whatever scary movie we thought we wanted to watch. We would usually go to Chattanooga one day go shopping. Granny loved to go, go, go! She always said, "Oh, you girls make me feel so young!" Papa mowed so many yards it was practically a full-time job, so he was busy with that all day. Then, at night, we'd watch the Braves game with him and eat ice cream sandwiches and brown cows.

Even when I was in college, I'd make many weekend trips to Granny's. One of my first trips to look for a wedding dress was actually with Granny in Chattanooga!

I still try to go visit once a summer, so tomorrow my mom, my sisters, AbiLyn, and I will be heading to Jasper. We're going to Chattanooga on Saturday to visit my aunt and uncle and cousins. My aunt always knows the cool new place, so we're going somewhere new for brunch! Her suggestions never disappoint, so I know we'll have a ball! Expect some pictures Sunday.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

I am so excited! I can't wait!!! YAY!