Friday, October 16

Local Love

I think it's wonderful when I find a local business that is truly great. I have two to tell you about today.

First is B. McNeel's. My parents took me and David there for my birthday last night. The food was truly delicious and enjoyed in a warm, inviting atmosphere. They didn't make us feel rushed. We had plenty of time in between courses to visit, and boy did we visit. We were there for over 2 hours. We had an appetizer trio of stuffed fried mushrooms, gulf shrimp wrapped in bacon with a barbecue glaze, and bruschetta with fresh mozzarella on toasted bread. I only had the bruschetta but everything else got rave reviews. We all had crab and corn bisque which was heavenly. I chose beef medallions with New Orleans potato casserole and sauteed veggies for my main course, and David and I split a piece of cheesecake for dessert. It was all mouthwatering. They have a lovely courtyard out back which I can't wait to try out in the spring. So, try this restaurant next time you have a special occasion. Save the gas by staying in M'boro and at the same time support a great local restaurant.

Second is Around the Way Dog on E. Main St. next to Slick Pig. I went here for lunch today, and it is so cool. It's owned by a really great guy who used to play football at MTSU. I've been able to make the acquaintance of him and his wife, and they are wonderful people...and the hot dogs...OMG! They serve Nathan's hot dogs, italian sausage, bratwurst, etc. with every topping you would ever think about putting on a hot dog and some you wouldn't (bleu cheese, guacamole). They also have hand cut french fries and Christie Cookies. When you get there you fill out your order on a sheet of paper, checking off the toppings and what kind of dog you want. When your order is ready, be listening...because they shout your name out to let you know...loudly. It's very MTSU-centric with plenty of Blue Raider memorabilia on the walls, and they have a little kid-size picnic table with an umbrella for the little ones.

Happy dining!

No comments: